Kuala Lumpur 2-bed at MYR 1.48m: does MYR 6,029 rent leave enough margin?

countTheSparrow

Developer
Verified Pro
I’m assessing a 2-bed apartment in Kuala Lumpur at MYR 1,480,000, with expected rent of MYR 6,029 per month. That gives a headline gross yield close to 4.9%.

Demand appears credible and the building looks sound, but the margin feels vulnerable once insurance, vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger repair reserve are included. I’m particularly concerned about tenant turnover changing the result.

Which local ownership cost am I most likely to be understating, and what net yield would make this risk worthwhile?
 
Annual rent is MYR 72,348 before any costs, so there is not much room between the advertised 4.9% and a disappointing net result. I would first pin down the building’s recurring charges and any sinking-fund contribution rather than treating “maintenance” as one general estimate. Also ask whether your management allowance includes finding a replacement tenant, not just monthly collection.
 
A simple stress test may be more useful than choosing one vacancy percentage. Model the first year with full occupancy, then rerun it with a tenant change, a rent-free gap and a repair occurring together. If that combined case turns cash flow uncomfortably low, the gross yield is probably too thin regardless of the average-year projection.
 
What exactly comes with the MYR 6,029 rent expectation—furniture, appliances, parking or other items the owner must replace? That missing detail could materially affect both achievable rent and turnover costs. I would also separate property tax, insurance and building charges from the repair reserve so none of them gets accidentally counted as covered by another line.
 
I’m not convinced a target net yield alone answers this. Financing can dominate the outcome: the same apartment may look acceptable with little debt and fragile with a larger loan or changing borrowing cost. Compare the property’s net operating cash flow before financing, then apply several financing scenarios separately. Otherwise a financing assumption can disguise whether the apartment itself is priced well.
 
I’d be stricter than that. Even without financing, 4.9% gross does not leave a generous cushion for vacancy, management and irregular work. “Demand looks real” is also too broad—demand at MYR 6,029 for this particular 2-bed matters. I would want evidence from genuinely comparable units and would negotiate the purchase price rather than justify the deal with optimistic occupancy.
 
Before deciding, build a 12-month cash schedule using actual quoted amounts where available: rent received, building charges, sinking fund, insurance, property tax, management, tenant-placement costs and repair reserves. Run it at the asking rent and at a lower rent, each with and without turnover. Then compare the resulting net yield with a low-effort alternative and ask whether the extra concentration and work are being compensated.
 
Back
Top