Kuala Lumpur apartments: is local supply giving buyers leverage?

AbleLens

Property investor
Established
I wrote this out before changing my mind again. I pulled a small sample of Kuala Lumpur apartments marketed between MYR 2,707,000 and MYR 4,061,000. Price movement was about +2.0%, while median marketing time was near 100 days; differences in condition made the average fairly noisy.

I cannot decide how to interpret local supply. Are buyers using competing stock to negotiate, or simply abandoning one listing for the next? I’m also wondering whether withdrawn units are making available supply look tighter than it really is.
 
At that price range, “Kuala Lumpur” is probably too broad to answer the supply question. Buyers can only use another unit as leverage if it is a credible substitute in the same neighbourhood, condition and building category. I’d separate active stock from new listings and withdrawals, then note when reductions occur. If listings reach roughly 100 days before cuts, that says more than the headline inventory alone.
 
I’d be cautious about reading negotiation power from marketing time. Financing delays, seller motivation and unit condition can all keep a property visible without producing a meaningful discount.

Tariq, does your sample include recent completed sales, or only advertised listings? I would narrow the neighbourhood boundaries first, match completed sales to comparable active units, and then compare price-cut timing. Otherwise that +2.0% movement may be mixing very different submarkets.
 
Back
Top