Launch high or closer to €929,200 for a Dublin country home?

alba.wood

First-time buyer
Established
I may be too close to this to judge clearly. Two agents have valued our Dublin country home quite differently. One wants to launch high; the alternative is to start closer to the likely sale price of €929,200.

The higher proposal is appealing, but comparable listings that began ambitiously seem to have sat for roughly 25 days before reducing. For sellers who faced this choice, did the higher start improve the completed result, or weaken the strongest early interest? I’m also interested in how people handled the decision once their moving deadline became real.
 
Unless the higher agent can support the figure with recent completed sales, I would favour launching nearer €929,200. Ask both agents to show which sales they used, including condition and precise area—not just similarly styled homes advertised nearby. Also ask what happened to listings that disappeared: sold, withdrawn, or relisted. Those outcomes mean very different things.
 
I wouldn’t treat 25 days as proof that the ambitious strategy failed. A country home can have a narrower buyer pool, and a reduction may have been planned rather than forced. Condition matters too: a ready-to-occupy home and one needing substantial work should not be compared solely on location and size. How firm is your deadline?
 
The missing piece is new-listing volume. If several competing homes are about to launch, starting high could leave yours looking poor value beside fresh alternatives. If supply is thin, there may be more room to test.

I’d also challenge both agents on their neighbourhood boundaries. With a Dublin country home, moving the comparison area even slightly may produce a persuasive but misleading set of completed sales.
 
Fair caveat from Lena: 25 days alone is not much of a verdict. I’d map each comparable through its whole history—original asking price, timing of any cut, final result if known, or withdrawal. Then separate genuinely comparable homes from those with different condition or surroundings. If the higher valuation still holds up after that, it deserves consideration; if not, it is just the nicer pitch.
 
I partly disagree with defaulting to the lower launch. Seller motivation should drive the choice. Someone with flexibility can test the upper figure for a defined period, provided they accept the risk of losing early buyers. A seller with a linked purchase or hard date has less room for that experiment.

Buyer financing is another wrinkle: interest at the higher price is not the same as buyers being able and willing to complete there.
 
That suggests a practical way to choose between the agents: ask each for a written launch plan covering the first 25 days. What evidence supports the opening price, what viewing response would trigger a reduction, when would it happen, and to what level? Also ask how condition concerns will be handled before launch. The stronger answer may be more revealing than the higher valuation.
 
Back
Top