Lima transactions: what tends to catch buyers and sellers off guard?

ModernAnchor

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
I work around the Lima property market and often see two assumptions cause confusion: that the asking price is the same as supported market value, and that financing approval guarantees a predictable completion date. Neither should be taken for granted.

I’m opening this as a practical Q&A on pricing evidence, negotiation limits, financing costs and timing, document control, coordination between professionals, and conflict disclosure. Please include your jurisdiction and property type. I’ll separate personal experience from matters requiring regulated local advice, and other professionals are welcome to explain where their process differs.
 
Lima, apartment, with bank financing: what should a buyer ask for at the start to avoid losing time later? I’m especially interested in who should hold or circulate the property documents. People often say “the bank handles it,” but that seems too vague when several professionals are involved.
 
Before deciding who circulates anything, I’d ask which documents already exist, who prepared them, and whether every party is working from the same version. The bank’s financing process and the buyer’s own assessment are separate concerns. A simple written list of outstanding items, the person responsible for each, and target dates can expose gaps early without assuming that one participant controls the whole transaction.
 
I’d be cautious about turning that list into an unofficial promise of timing. Financing can involve dependencies outside the buyer’s or seller’s control, so target dates may create false confidence.

Also ask everyone to state their role and disclose any connection to another party. An appraisal can inform value discussions, but it does not automatically settle negotiation strategy, document questions, or regulated legal and lending issues.
 
The role point matters, although I wouldn’t avoid target dates entirely. Label them as estimates and record what each depends on. For the apartment question, I’d start with three separate notes: pricing evidence and its date, financing steps and expected costs, and a document list showing who currently has each item. Then confirm directly with the relevant Lima professionals which questions fall within their regulated scope.
 
Back
Top