I have checked the basic purchase and rental figures for a 3-bed new-build flat in Lisbon, but I am not yet convinced the projected income is achievable or that my expense lines are complete. The price is €1,311,000 and the quoted rent is €8,816 a month, which produces a gross figure of about 8.1%.
My model allows for empty periods, management, ordinary repairs and one larger item, with no appreciation assumed. That still may flatter the result if the €8,816 is based on shorter stays rather than a durable tenancy, or if condominium charges, insurance and taxes are understated. Financing terms could also change the cash return sharply even where the property-level yield looks acceptable.
Which assumption would you challenge first? I am inclined to verify evidence for the rent and define the intended letting model, then rerun vacancy, insurance and borrowing costs before deciding what net return makes the purchase worthwhile.
My model allows for empty periods, management, ordinary repairs and one larger item, with no appreciation assumed. That still may flatter the result if the €8,816 is based on shorter stays rather than a durable tenancy, or if condominium charges, insurance and taxes are understated. Financing terms could also change the cash return sharply even where the property-level yield looks acceptable.
Which assumption would you challenge first? I am inclined to verify evidence for the rent and define the intended letting model, then rerun vacancy, insurance and borrowing costs before deciding what net return makes the purchase worthwhile.