Lisbon apartment: rising insurance and reserves erase the rent saving

SmallChart

Landlord
Established
I would like the Lisbon apartment to work as a sensible alternative to renting, but the building costs are getting in the way. Both the master insurance and reserve contributions have increased enough that the monthly association bill changes the calculation.

I am unsure whether to underwrite the apartment using today’s higher figures or regard some of the rise as short-term catch-up funding. I’m checking the insurance exclusions and cover for charges following a loss, but I also wonder how persistent costs would affect management effort and resale liquidity. Has anyone dealt with a similar building budget, and what explained the increase?
 
I would assume the higher figure continues and treat any later reduction as upside. Separate the monthly amount into ordinary running costs, insurance and reserve funding, because each tells a different story. Then ask for recent budgets, meeting minutes and the basis for the reserve increase. A temporary catch-up contribution is very different from permanently higher maintenance and insurance.
 
The missing fact is why both amounts rose. Is the building preparing for identified work, correcting an underfunded reserve, or simply facing higher recurring expenses? A large reserve contribution is not necessarily bad if it reduces the chance of sudden calls for money.

Also, is this for your own occupation or for letting? Tenant demand and vacancy matter in the second case, while predictability and energy use may carry more weight in the first.
 
I agree that a stronger reserve can be positive, but not automatically. High contributions paired with unclear planned work or weak records would concern me more than a modest reserve with a credible schedule. I would ask for the current reserve balance, planned building projects, recent contribution changes and any unpaid amounts within the building. Those answers should explain whether this is prudent funding or an open-ended drain.
 
There is also a resale issue. Even if the purchase still works for you, a future buyer may focus on the headline monthly charge and compare it with lower-charge apartments. I would run three versions of the calculation: current costs continuing, another increase, and a partial reduction. Include maintenance inside the unit as well as shared charges; otherwise the rent comparison remains too flattering.
 
On the insurance side, confirm what the building policy actually covers, the exclusions and deductibles, and how owners would share a loss or uninsured repair. Ask a local broker or adviser whether the type of loss-assessment protection you have in mind exists in the relevant form in Portugal rather than assuming the terminology transfers.

If the conservative cost scenario still makes the apartment worthwhile, proceed to deeper due diligence. If it only works when premiums and reserve payments fall, the margin is probably too thin.
 
Back
Top