Listing agent also wants to represent buyer on $1,195,000 offer

tennisAndBeam

Homeowner
Founding Member
We have an early offer around $1,195,000 on our New York coastal home, and the listing agent says they can also represent the buyer. The speed is appealing, but I do not see how confidential advice and negotiation stay independent.

Before considering it, I would want the conflict explained in writing, along with the fee basis, who the named contact is for each side, how competing offers would be handled, and what support we receive if this buyer falls through. I also want to know whether the original photography and marketing scope affects the fee if we accept before launch. Am I overthinking this?
 
No. Ask a New York property attorney to explain what representation the agent can and cannot provide in this arrangement before you consent to anything. I would also request written confirmation of the buyer’s qualification and a clear breakdown of any fee change. Convenience is real, but it should not be confused with independent negotiation.
 
I would not reject it automatically. If the offer, contingencies and closing timetable suit you, one agent may reduce delays. The missing fact is whether $1,195,000 has been tested against the market or simply arrived before full exposure. Also ask whether the agent will present later offers promptly and what response time you can expect during negotiations.
 
The practical compromise is to evaluate the offer without relying on the agent for strategy. Put every material term and disclosure in writing, have your own attorney review them, and set a short decision timetable. Clarify who communicates with whom, how confidential information is separated, what happens if the deal collapses, and whether the fee reflects the agent’s changed role. If those answers remain vague, the promised convenience is not worth much.
 
Back
Top