Listing agent also wants to represent our £858,000 buyer

calm_chart

Buyer
Established
We now have an early offer near £858,000 for our London property, and a new question has come with it: the listing agent proposes having a role with the buyer as well.

If that role is limited to communication and viewings, I might consider it after receiving the fee basis, conflict disclosure and offer-handling process in writing. If the agent would advise both parties on price or negotiation, I would want separate representation. In either case, I also need named contacts, the buyer’s qualification details, response-time expectations and an explanation of what happens if this offer fails while competing interest is being handled.
 
I would not agree until the agent explains exactly what “work with the buyer” means. Are they simply communicating and arranging viewings, or advising both sides on price and negotiation? Those are very different situations. Ask who pays each fee, what information remains confidential, whether separate named contacts are involved, and how offers will be recorded and presented.
 
Was this offer made before the full marketing launch and photography were completed? An early £858,000 can look appealing, but without knowing the asking price, buyer position and exposure to other buyers, speed alone says little. I would ask what financial qualification was done and whether the offer depends on a sale, lending or any other condition.
 
Also, I would not let the terminology slide. The agent may mean they represent the seller while providing the buyer with administrative help, rather than negotiating for both. Get that distinction confirmed in writing. If they genuinely advise both parties, ask how confidential price limits and negotiating instructions are separated.
 
I would not reject the arrangement automatically. One firm keeping the chain moving could be convenient, particularly if there is a responsive named contact. The conflict is still real, but the buyer’s strength and terms may matter more than who introduced them. Set a response-time expectation and ask what happens if the buyer stalls or the transaction falls through.
 
Send one email with a short list and request written answers: the agent’s role for each party; all fees and who pays them; the conflict disclosure; the buyer’s qualification and chain position; who receives confidential instructions; how this and later offers will be handled; the photography and wider marketing plan; and what fall-through support remains included. Vague answers would be a reason to pause.
 
My caveat is that safeguards do not make £858,000 a good offer. If photography or marketing has been cut short because an early buyer appeared, you may never learn whether there was stronger interest. At minimum, compare the offer with the intended asking strategy and ask whether accepting it changes any fee. A second local agent’s view could also help, without sharing confidential details.
 
I would separate the two decisions: first, is £858,000 acceptable given the buyer’s position and the planned market exposure? Second, is the representation arrangement sufficiently clear? Ask the agent for the proposed roles and offer-handling process in writing, then have your own solicitor consider anything that could affect the transaction. Convenience is useful, but it should not depend on informal assurances.
 
Back
Top