Listing agent also wants to represent the buyer—conflict or convenience before I answer

We have received an early offer of about NZ$1,180,000 on our Auckland property. The speed is attractive, but the listing agent says they can also work with the buyer, and I need to respond without really understanding how confidential advice and negotiation would remain separate.

Before even considering that arrangement, what would you insist on in writing? I’m thinking conflict disclosure, the fee basis, a named contact for each side, buyer qualification, how competing offers are handled, response times, and what happens if this offer falls through. I also don’t want to halt photography or the wider campaign prematurely. If dual representation may be permitted here, what practical safeguard would make the biggest difference?
 
I would not let the speed decide it. Ask for a written explanation of exactly whom the agent represents, what information cannot be shared, whether the fee changes, and who is expected to advise each party during negotiation. “We can work with both sides” is too vague.

Have your own Auckland conveyancer or lawyer examine the arrangement and the offer before consenting. Also ask what evidence supports the buyer’s ability to complete; an early offer is only convenient if it is credible.
 
I wouldn’t automatically reject the offer just because the agent is involved with both parties, but disclosure does not remove the underlying tension. The missing facts for me are the offer conditions and whether the buyer was introduced through this agent. Those may matter more than the headline price.

Keep the photography and marketing plans available while those points are clarified. Ask for one named person responsible for updates, a clear offer-handling process, and written confirmation of the support provided if the deal falls through. If the agent cannot explain the boundaries plainly, that is an answer in itself.
 
Back
Top