Listing agent also wants to represent the buyer—conflict or convenience near Cairo

We have an early offer of around EGP 41,040,000 on a property near Cairo. The listing agent says they can also work with the buyer. Speed is appealing, but I do not understand how our negotiating position and confidential information would remain protected.

Before considering this, I would want clarity on whether dual representation is permitted here, the fee basis, who handles each side, buyer qualification and how competing offers would be presented. What written conflict disclosure and safeguards would others insist on? If you chose separate representation at a similar price level, what decided it?
 
I would not proceed on a verbal explanation. Ask for a written description of whom the agent represents, what information cannot be shared, how the fee changes, and whether the same named contact will communicate with both parties. Have an independent Egyptian property lawyer assess that arrangement and the offer terms. Permission to act for both sides, if available, would not by itself make the incentives independent.
 
Is the offer actually in writing, and does it include payment timing and conditions? “Early” and “fast” matter less if the buyer has not been qualified or can withdraw easily. I would also ask whether marketing continues while the offer is assessed. There is little benefit in pausing photography or viewings for a buyer whose ability to complete has not been established.
 
I would choose separate representation. A disclosure tells you a conflict exists; it does not remove it. The agent cannot push the buyer upward while also helping that buyer secure the lowest acceptable figure, and anything you reveal about urgency could affect the negotiation. The listing agent could continue representing you while the buyer finds independent help.
 
I am not sure separate agents automatically solve everything. If everyone understands that the shared agent is only coordinating rather than giving either side confidential negotiating advice, the convenience may be real. The important distinction is between neutral administration and representation. Get that role defined in writing, including offer handling, response times and what happens if the sale falls through.
 
Thanks—those distinctions help. The offer is early enough that I do not want marketing stopped merely for speed. I also do not yet have written answers on buyer qualification, whether the fee changes, or whether one named contact would handle both sides. I will request those points plus the confidentiality limits and fall-through support, then have the arrangement considered independently before responding.
 
Also request a clean record of every offer and counteroffer: when it was received, when it was relayed and who communicated it. If different people at the agency are proposed for each party, ask how information is kept separate rather than assuming different names mean independence. Keep the EGP 41,040,000 price decision separate from the representation decision; one should not be used to rush the other.
 
Agreed, although I would avoid turning the process into paperwork without first answering the commercial point. Compare the offer with your own acceptable price, conditions and completion timetable. Then decide whether the agent’s divided role creates a disadvantage you cannot manage. If the answers on fees, confidentiality or buyer qualification remain vague, that vagueness is itself a practical reason to insist on separate representation.
 
Back
Top