London 1-bed townhouse at £928,200: how would you adjust thin comparables?

watchTheSlate

Real estate agent
If the unusual floor area is valued incorrectly, the error could outweigh every smaller condition adjustment. I’m considering a London 1-bed townhouse of roughly 1,240 sq ft, in average condition, with an asking price of £928,200.

The light and location are attractive, while the finishes are dated and rental-related regulation costs may affect the numbers. The available evidence consists of three current listings and one completed transaction. Before assigning a value, I want to confirm whether the floor area is genuinely usable, how outdoor space is treated, and whether tenure, service charges or management costs differ across the comparables. Which discrepancy would you resolve first? Any provisional range would still need checking through a formal local appraisal.
 
I wouldn’t apply a flat percentage for floor area. At 1,240 sq ft with only one bedroom, some of that space may have less value than an extra bedroom would. The floor plan matters. My biggest missing fact is tenure and, if leasehold, the remaining lease length.
 
Also, how close is the completed sale in date and micro-location, and does it have the same outdoor space or parking? With only one sold comparable, those differences could overwhelm any neat condition adjustment.
 
For dated finishes, I’d list the visible work and attach realistic allowances rather than automatically deducting, say, a fixed percentage. “Average condition” can mean cosmetic updating or expensive deferred work. Those should not sit in the same grade.
 
I’d put more weight on the precise street than on the finishes. Kitchens can be changed; noise, outlook and walking distance to local amenities cannot. “London” is far too broad for the completed sale to carry much weight without a tighter location match.
 
Agreed on location, but condition still affects what a buyer can pay now. I’d separate cosmetic, functional and major-work items, then avoid pretending every pound of work translates into a pound off the value. The energy label would also help distinguish dated appearance from poor efficiency.
 
Are there service charges, and is any parking or outdoor space included? Those details might explain why otherwise similar asking prices diverge. For an unusually large one-bedroom, I’d also want to know whether the layout could practically use the space better, without assuming alterations are permitted.
 
The rental comment suggests two calculations are getting mixed together. An owner-occupier comparison and a letting spreadsheet may produce different conclusions. Management, compliance costs and one bad year belong in the rental case, but they do not directly determine what another resident buyer will offer.
 
Three asking prices are useful for understanding the competition, not proof of achieved value. I’d anchor on the completed sale, adjust only for differences you can identify, and present a range. If the range becomes very wide, that is an honest result of thin evidence.
 
The asking price is roughly £749 per sq ft, but I wouldn’t stop there. The key question is what the extra square footage actually consists of. Large corridors, stairs or low-utility areas shouldn’t be valued identically to well-proportioned living space.
 
Parking and private outdoor space can also break a price-per-square-foot comparison because neither is captured well by internal area. I’d put the four properties into a simple grid: sold/asking status, street, tenure, condition, outside space, parking and service charges.
 
I’d adjust in sequence rather than all at once: first micro-location and sale timing, then tenure and recurring charges, then major physical differences, and finally finishes. Otherwise there’s a risk of deducting twice—for example, once for condition and again through a lower rental projection.
 
The emerging issue is that a condition-adjustment range would be false precision until the tenure, lease length if applicable, floor plan and completed comparable details are known. Of those, tenure/lease terms could change both the buyer pool and the relevance of the service-charge question.
 
Don’t leave the energy label as a footnote. It won’t produce a valuation by itself, but it may reveal whether “dated” means décor only or whether running costs and upgrades need investigation. I’d ask for the label and any available information behind it before costing works.
 
Practical next step: ask the appraiser to explain which completed sales they relied on and why they are comparable, rather than accepting one headline figure. Take the floor plan, tenure details, charges, energy information and your itemised condition notes to that meeting.
 
On the present facts, I’d treat £928,200 as a price to test, not validate. If the only completed sale is genuinely close on street, tenure, layout and amenities, it deserves serious weight. If not, widen the valuation range and make any offer conditional on resolving the lease, charges and physical-condition uncertainties.
 
Back
Top