London 5-bed at £471,900 and £1,876/month: does the yield justify the risk?

watchTheSlate

Real estate agent
Buying at £471,900 on rent of £1,876 a month feels tight, but rejecting it solely because the gross yield is about 4.8% may also be premature. This is a 5-bed country home in London, so the letting basis and management burden could matter as much as the headline percentage.

I need to establish whether the rent assumes one household or separate rooms, who pays council tax and utilities, and whether management includes tenant finding and renewals. I have included gaps between tenancies, ongoing upkeep and provision for major work, but the remaining net cash flow may still be too thin. Which expense would you investigate first, and what paperwork should I request to confirm it?
 
At only 4.8% gross, tenant turnover may hurt more than any single routine bill. A five-bed can mean higher redecorating, cleaning and repair costs between tenancies, plus lost rent while it is prepared and marketed again. I’d stress-test one unusually expensive turnover rather than rely only on a smooth annual maintenance percentage.
 
Is the £1,876 for one tenancy covering the entire property, or an estimate based on letting rooms? Also: furnished or unfurnished, who is expected to cover council tax and utilities, and does your management figure include finding new tenants? Those details could change both the cost structure and the regulatory exposure.
 
Good questions. The rent figure came as a single headline number, but the particulars do not make all those assumptions clear. I had treated £1,876 as rent received before owner costs and had not separated renewal or tenant-finding charges from ordinary management. I’ll ask for a written breakdown of the letting basis, included bills and management charges before refining the yield.
 
The proposed written breakdown raises another question: even if the operating assumptions become clear, does the return survive the financing and purchase costs? With a gross yield under 5%, a modest change in borrowing cost or one empty period could matter more than the regulatory estimate.

I’d calculate the net return without debt first, then place the financed cash flow beside it using the actual loan terms and acquisition costs. Add one higher-rate or refinancing case. That will not produce a universal target yield, but it will show whether this property beats the alternative use of the £471,900 with enough margin to justify proceeding.
 
I’d rebuild it as a cash schedule rather than subtracting one broad percentage from rent: £1,876 received, vacancy allowance, management and reletting, insurance, maintenance, major repairs, any owner-paid council tax or utilities, then financing. Keep one normal year and one bad-turnover year. If the deal only works when every unclear item falls in your favour, the broker’s 4.8% is not providing much margin.
 
Back
Top