London investor comparing coastal markets and completed prices

jade_details

Property investor
Established
London figures are the market I know best, but I’m concerned that they are shaping how I judge coastal property elsewhere.

I invest in property and have been looking at transaction costs, mortgage comparisons and the difference between current asking figures and recorded sale outcomes. Which UK board would be the most useful starting point for checking market data and building an investment model? I’d particularly value discussions that show how members verify the final price rather than relying on the listing.
 
Welcome. I’d start with completed-price data, then use current listings only to understand what sellers are trying to achieve. The two answer different questions. After that, build a transaction-cost list for the particular UK jurisdiction and buyer circumstances you are considering; a single national assumption can be misleading.
 
Are these coastal homes intended as long-term rentals, short stays, renovation projects, or eventual personal use? That missing detail changes what is useful. For an investment model, I’d include management, maintenance and periods without income before comparing locations. A place can look attractive on purchase price while being awkward to operate.
 
Completed prices are useful, but they can be a blunt first filter. A past sale may differ in condition, exact location or renovation needs, and those differences are costly to undo after purchase.

I’d first narrow the intended use, town and property type. Then place genuinely similar completed sales beside current listings and inspect the available property details, rather than treating every difference as evidence of seller flexibility.
 
The UK section will be easier to navigate if you split your questions into separate threads. One could cover mortgage comparisons and buying costs; another could focus on management and renovation assumptions for coastal property. Include the target town, property type, intended use and rough timeline. Without those, replies will stay broad.
 
A practical first exercise is to model one candidate property three ways: at the advertised price, at a lower agreed price, and with a larger renovation allowance. Keep financing, legal costs, management and ongoing repairs visible rather than hiding them in one percentage. Then ask members to challenge the assumptions. Legal and tax details vary by jurisdiction and circumstances, so those figures should be verified separately.
 
Back
Top