London management fees would erase most of my rental cash flow

jade_details

Property investor
Established
I may move away from London and would not be able to respond quickly to problems at the property. Local managers are quoting about 8% of rent, plus letting and maintenance-coordination fees. Once I also model 66 days without rent for vacancy or tenant turnover, there is almost no monthly surplus.

Would you accept minimal cash flow in return for professional management, or treat that as a sign to sell? Completed examples near London would be more useful than another headline figure.
 
If the calculation already includes realistic maintenance, insurance, financing and any property tax or void-period charges, I would lean towards selling. An 8% fee is not the whole cost: a new letting and one significant repair can turn a thin surplus negative. Management may reduce your workload, but it cannot make weak numbers stronger.
 
How did you arrive at 66 vacant days? If that is a cautious allowance rather than the property's actual turnover history, it may be dominating the calculation. I would run three cases: prompt reletting, your 66-day assumption, and a longer void combined with a repair.

Also ask each manager exactly what the percentage covers. Comparing 8% quotes is misleading if inspections, renewals or arranging contractors are extra.
 
I agree on separating the scenarios, but I would not dismiss management merely because the monthly surplus becomes small. The fair comparison is managed letting versus selling, not managed versus free remote self-management. Selling has its own costs, while retaining the property may still reduce debt or preserve future options.

The deciding number for me would be the cash reserve required under the bad case, especially if the financing cost rises—not just average monthly cash flow.
 
There is also a middle ground: obtain fixed, itemised proposals and ask what happens during tenant turnover, emergencies and major works. Then test whether a local letting-only service plus a separate emergency contact is workable, rather than assuming full management or sale are the only choices.

Before deciding, confirm with the insurer that the remote-owner and vacancy arrangements are acceptable, and check who covers ongoing charges during an empty period. If the property still needs regular cash injections under reasonable assumptions, selling is the cleaner option; if only the deliberately harsh case is negative, management could be the price of keeping it.
 
Back
Top