London small multifamily listings: what explains 86 days on market?

makeTheCanvas

Property investor
Established
I’ve spent a couple of days sense-checking a London sample of mostly small multifamily properties priced from £305,800 to £458,600. The typical listing has been visible for 86 days, yet some apparently comparable properties move quickly.

My working theory is that rental regulation is separating attractive stock from listings buyers hesitate over, but I may be over-weighting that. Are recent completed sales, financing, condition or seller motivation giving a better street-level explanation? I’m particularly interested in withdrawn listings and when price cuts tend to happen.
 
I wouldn’t lead with regulation until you separate the sample more carefully. In London, two properties in that price range can face very different demand because of neighbourhood boundaries, condition and the type of finance available to buyers.

Also, does “visible for 86 days” mean one uninterrupted listing? Withdrawn and relisted stock could distort that figure. I’d compare each property with recent completed sales nearby rather than with other current asking prices.
 
One more missing piece: new-listing volume. If few suitable properties are coming on, a correctly priced one can disappear quickly while unrealistic listings keep ageing and make the overall market look slower.

I’d record original asking price, each reduction date, whether it was withdrawn, and whether it later reappeared. That should reveal whether 86 days reflects weak demand or sellers taking too long to adjust.
 
I partly disagree on putting regulation in the background. For small multifamily property, occupancy and the buyer’s intended use can materially change how the listing is assessed. A building sold vacant is not necessarily competing for the same buyer as one with existing rental arrangements, even if the price and street look similar.

Were those details consistent across the quick and stale listings? Without that split, condition or location may get blamed for a difference that actually comes from how buyers can operate the property.
 
That said, regulation alone still won’t explain the timing. Split the sample by neighbourhood, occupancy, condition and whether the asking price was reduced. Then place completed sales beside withdrawn stock, not just active listings. If stale properties cluster around particular sellers or never receive meaningful cuts, motivation is probably doing more work than the broader rental environment.
 
The £305,800–£458,600 bracket may itself be masking several micro-markets. I’d tighten the neighbourhood boundaries before drawing a London-wide conclusion, then note which purchases appear straightforward to finance and which properties need work.

The most useful comparison would be quick completions versus listings that were withdrawn after one or more cuts. Active listings only show what sellers hope to obtain; they don’t show where buyers and sellers actually met.
 
Back
Top