Los Angeles inventory shifted in June 2025 — seasonal noise or more selective buyers?

testTheLane

Property investor
I can find asking data everywhere, but completed numbers are another story.

I’m tracking Los Angeles in June 2025 and the mix appears to be changing. Well-presented serviced apartments are moving in roughly 25 days, while homes needing work sit longer. What I can’t reconcile is asking prices versus completed deals; the visible gap looks close to 7.4%.

Is this a short seasonal move, or are buyers becoming more selective? Completed transactions or direct local observations would help, especially with the neighbourhood and property condition stated rather than only citywide headlines.
 
My first reaction is buyer selectivity, but the 7.4% needs a precise definition. Is that original asking price versus sold price, or final asking price after reductions versus sold price? Those answer different questions. Also, a 25-day figure for properties that moved cannot tell you much about the listings still sitting unsold.
 
How large is the sample, and when were the completed deals actually agreed? June closings may reflect negotiations from an earlier market. I’d also separate serviced apartments from ordinary apartments and houses needing work; otherwise the change in property mix could create an apparent market shift even if like-for-like pricing barely changed.
 
I’m not convinced seasonality should be the default explanation. Los Angeles is too uneven for one citywide discount figure to carry much weight. A cluster of completed sales in one neighbourhood or price band could move a small sample substantially. Transaction volume matters here: 7.4% across many comparable deals is meaningful; the same figure from a thin set is fragile.
 
A practical way to test it is to keep three dates for each property: first listed, last price change and completion. Then record original ask, final ask, sold price, property condition and neighbourhood. Preserve each weekly extract too, because portal records can be revised or disappear. That should reveal whether the gap comes from negotiation, earlier reductions, slower completions or a changing sample.
 
Policy timing is another possible distortion, though I wouldn’t assume an effect without matching the relevant dates. Compare June 2025 with adjacent months using the same property types and completed-sale lag. If the 25 days and 7.4% persist across several cohorts and neighbourhoods, selectivity becomes a stronger explanation; if not, it is probably mix or seasonal noise.
 
Back
Top