Los Angeles rental: $1,365,000 purchase and $6,704 monthly rent — sanity check

miro_roofs

Property investor
Established
The case being presented is $6,704 in monthly rent from a sound 3-bed property costing $1,365,000. My hesitation is that the quoted 5.9% gross yield leaves a fairly narrow margin once the Los Angeles ownership costs and purchase expenses are included.

I have budgeted for management, vacancy, ordinary upkeep and one substantial repair, yet a poor year makes the projected cash flow look weak. Property tax and insurance need address-specific figures, and I may also be understating leasing charges or costs that sit outside the regular management percentage.

Before pursuing it, I would check the tax basis, obtain an insurance quote for rental use, and separate turnover costs from the maintenance reserve. Which of those assumptions would you challenge first?
 
Insurance is the number I would refuse to estimate from a generic percentage. Get a quote for this exact address and intended rental use before judging the deal. The premium and coverage limitations could matter as much as your maintenance reserve.

At $6,704 a month, annual gross rent is $80,448. There simply is not much room between that and the 5.9% headline figure for all operating costs.
 
One addition: check what the management percentage actually covers. Leasing fees, renewal work, inspections and coordinating repairs may not all sit inside the monthly fee. If turnover creates a vacant month plus a separate leasing charge, your vacancy and management assumptions may overlap poorly rather than conservatively.
 
I’d put property tax ahead of management as the larger predictable drag, though both need real figures. Ask for the likely tax bill tied to your purchase rather than relying only on what appears in older listing material.

Also separate transaction fees from annual operations. They reduce your return on total cash invested, but folding them into annual net yield can make comparisons confusing. I would calculate both net operating yield on price and first-year return on all cash committed.
 
I disagree with choosing an acceptable net yield before knowing the financing. A modest operating return might still be tolerable to a cash buyer with a long holding period, while the same property could have weak or negative cash flow with debt.

Are you buying in cash, and is $6,704 supported by an existing lease or merely expected market rent? Those two missing facts change the risk substantially.
 
Run three columns rather than one “conservative” case: normal year, turnover year and major-repair year. For each, show collected rent, vacancy, management, leasing or turnover expense, maintenance, insurance and property tax. Then add financing separately if applicable.

I’d also test rent below $6,704. If a small rent reduction or one empty month wipes out the annual cash flow, the 5.9% gross yield is not providing much protection regardless of the precise net-yield target.
 
Before proceeding, I’d ask for three address-specific numbers: an insurance quote, the expected property-tax bill after purchase, and a management proposal listing every extra charge. Then verify what the tenant is responsible for maintaining at this particular country home; grounds or other property-specific upkeep could make it behave differently from a typical 3-bed rental.

After that, compare the resulting net income with both the total acquisition cost and any annual debt service. If the deal only works with uninterrupted rent at exactly $6,704, that is the clearest warning sign.
 
Back
Top