Los Angeles villa: minimum cash return before assuming appreciation?

ari_grove

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
I’m comparing a Los Angeles villa with higher-yield properties in cheaper markets. The villa’s current yield is modest, but Los Angeles appears stronger on employment, transport and eventual resale liquidity. The cheaper options produce more cash now but may be harder to exit.

How do you stop an appreciation case becoming an excuse for weak numbers? I’m leaning toward requiring a minimum cash return before assigning any value to growth. I’d be interested in the specific expense or assumption that changed how others approached this trade-off.
 
I would first require the villa to stand on its own with no appreciation assumed. Start with rent, then subtract a vacancy allowance, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax. If the remaining cash flow is too thin for your target, employment and transport fundamentals do not repair it; they only explain why you might accept a lower return.
 
Is your “cash return” before or after financing? That missing detail could reverse the comparison. Run the Los Angeles property at the actual financing terms and then at less favorable terms. Also model tenant turnover rather than treating rent as continuous. A modest headline yield can disappear quickly when debt costs and one vacant period are included.
 
The financing distinction changes the comparison. It also raises a new question: is the proposed minimum meant to measure ordinary annual cash flow, or the return left after a vacancy and higher debt costs?

I would not impose one identical headline threshold on every market. First require each property to remain viable after conservative allowances for vacancy, insurance, maintenance and financing. Then compare the return above that floor with differences in management burden and resale liquidity. Stronger Los Angeles demand may justify choosing a lower return between two viable options, but it should not turn a property with inadequate cash flow into an acceptable purchase.
 
That distinction helps. I meant cash return after financing, but I’d also calculate it unlevered so a favorable loan does not disguise an expensive property. I would add separate cases for higher insurance, property tax, maintenance and turnover rather than one vague contingency line. If the villa only works when every input is favorable, the appreciation story is doing too much work.
 
The separate leveraged and unlevered calculations are useful. My concern is that the result could still depend on which downside assumptions are chosen.

What vacancy period and financing change would count as a credible stress case for each candidate? I’d run all of them through ordinary operations, a year containing vacancy plus repairs, and a less favourable debt scenario, with appreciation set to zero throughout. If the villa clears the required return in the downside case, defensible employment, transport and resale factors can decide a close comparison. If it fails, expected growth should not be used to close the gap.
 
Back
Top