Lyon rental: €782,000 purchase and €3,467 monthly rent — does it hold up?

hana.north

Property manager
A 5.3% gross yield may be acceptable to some buyers, but I am not convinced it leaves enough margin here. The property is a 4-bed country home in Lyon priced at €782,000, and the projected rent is €3,467 a month.

I have allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a major-repair fund. The structure looks sound, although the property tax could change the calculation significantly. Before settling on a minimum net return, which Lyon-specific expense should I verify most carefully?
 
I would focus first on the actual property tax bill rather than an estimate, then get an insurance quote for this specific house. At 5.3% gross there is not much room for several small assumptions to be wrong at once. Does the seller have recent annual figures for tax, insurance and maintenance?
 
How firm is the €3,467 rent? A current signed tenancy, a local agent’s estimate and an optimistic listing comparison are very different evidence. For a 4-bed country home, tenant turnover could also be expensive even if the vacancy period itself is short—cleaning, minor repairs and management charges can arrive together.
 
There are two reasonable ways to assess this: judge the rental on its operating return, or start with the cash flow after debt. I would not commit until both work, because the financing terms are easier to change than the purchase itself.

Test a lower rent, a longer empty period and an earlier major repair against the proposed interest and repayment schedule. Then ask the lender for the actual terms being offered rather than relying on a broad rate assumption. If a modest financing change turns the cash flow negative, the 5.3% gross yield offers very little protection.
 
Financing matters for cash flow, but I would still separate it from the property’s operating performance. Start with €41,604 annual rent, then deduct realistic vacancy, management, non-recoverable maintenance, insurance and property tax. That gives a comparable net operating yield. After that, layer in the proposed loan and test whether the remaining cash flow is tolerable. Otherwise a financing change can hide a mediocre rental.
 
Also include purchase costs in the total capital committed rather than calculating every return solely against €782,000. My next steps would be to request the latest tax and insurance amounts, challenge the rent estimate with local evidence, and obtain a management quote that states what happens at tenant changeover. I would want the stressed net yield to remain worthwhile after those adjustments, not merely reach an arbitrary target in the best-case year.
 
Back
Top