Made it to closing in Jakarta

PlainRiver

Homeowner
The Jakarta purchase has completed, which leaves me with a new question: which parts of the process were genuinely useful lessons and which were just features of this transaction? The paperwork took longer than planned, and more than one bid failed before this property went through.

At first I viewed those rejections as either useful market evidence or wasted effort. I now think their value depends on whether the seller gave a reason; price, timing and other terms can lead to very different conclusions. The same applies to task ownership. Naming the responsible person helps, but only if dependencies and deadlines are recorded as well.

I kept cash aside for transaction fees, and I am now separating what remains between moving costs and post-closing needs. What would experienced buyers document while the details are still fresh, particularly around delays, handover and cash needed after completion?
 
Keeping cash available after closing is the lesson people underestimate. Fees are one part of it, but moving costs and early repairs can arrive before finances feel settled. Which part of the document process ran longer than expected? Knowing whether the delay came from unclear responsibility or simple timing would make the experience especially useful to other Jakarta buyers.
 
I’d add a caveat: assigning each task to someone does not guarantee the final week will run smoothly. Dependencies matter too. A document may be ready while the lender, inspection follow-up, or another party is still waiting. A shared list showing each remaining item, who is handling it, and what must happen first is more useful than separate verbal assurances.
 
Rejected offers are useful data only if you record enough to compare them. Keep the offered price, conditions, timing, and any response you received; otherwise the lesson can become “offer more,” when the real issue may have been certainty or schedule. For the next deal, I’d also keep transaction fees, moving money, and a repair reserve as three separate amounts rather than one general cash buffer.
 
Back
Top