Made it to closing in Johannesburg

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
Keeping more money available for repairs would have reduced what I could put into the purchase, while committing it to the deal would have left very little flexibility afterward. Neither choice felt particularly comfortable.

The Johannesburg purchase has now completed, following multiple unsuccessful bids and a document stage that ran longer than I expected. Those earlier offers helped me refine both the price and the terms I was prepared to accept. The other lesson was to get a named person and target date for every handoff once the offer was accepted, even though some delays remained outside my control.

I have kept the moving budget separate from the maintenance reserve. Which part tends to catch buyers most: lender timing, the final paperwork, inspection items or costs appearing near completion?
 
Congratulations. The part beginners often underestimate is that closing does not end the spending. Inspection findings can help prioritise repairs, but they do not predict every issue that appears after occupation. I would separate the moving budget from the repair reserve and avoid treating either as spare cash.
 
How much of the delay came from the lender, and how much from documents moving between the other parties? That distinction would make your lesson about ownership of the next step more useful. A named person and target date for each outstanding item can expose a stalled handoff, although some timing will still be outside the buyer’s control.
 
I partly disagree that rejected offers are always useful pricing data. They tell you what did not secure that particular property, but not necessarily its final price or whether the seller chose another offer for cleaner terms or timing. Still, they can improve your process. While the details are fresh, write down each delay, fee, inspection item and contact responsible; that becomes a practical checklist for the next transaction.
 
Back
Top