Made it to closing in Riyadh

Running short of cash just after completion can turn an otherwise successful purchase into a problem. My Riyadh purchase has now closed, after several offers and a document process that lasted longer than anticipated.

I came away with two practical rules. Keep funds available for repairs, moving costs and unexpected fees, and assign every post-acceptance task to a specific person with a deadline. I also kept notes on the rejected bids so they could inform later decisions rather than simply add frustration.

I’m happy to compare experiences or answer questions about the gap between offer and closing, particularly the final week of documents.
 
Congratulations. Which part caused most of the delay: lender timing, documents from the other side, or uncertainty over who had to act next? I’d also be interested to know whether the final fees matched what you had budgeted. Cash after closing can disappear quickly once moving and repairs overlap.
 
Rejected offers are useful data only if you record why each one failed. A price rejection tells you something different from an offer that lost because of timing or conditions. Even a simple offer log—amount, terms, response and suspected sticking point—would make the next attempt less emotional and more informed.
 
I’d go further than asking who owns the next step. Put the task, expected date and dependency in writing. “The lender is waiting” is too vague; the useful question is what document is missing and who must provide it.

Were there any inspection findings that looked minor during negotiation but changed how much repair cash you kept back?
 
I’m not convinced there should be one general cash target after completion. The reserve depends on whether the property needs repairs, will be rented, or must be occupied immediately. I’d separate the money into regulatory costs, known repairs, moving expenses and a genuine contingency. Otherwise the same pool gets mentally spent several times.
 
The coordination lesson is probably the least glamorous and most useful: don’t let the property timeline and the moving timeline become one fragile chain. Keep a short final-week list covering documents, lender actions, completion funds, keys, inspection items and moving arrangements. If one date shifts, you can see what else needs changing instead of discovering it through a missed booking.
 
Back
Top