Made it to closing in São Paulo

DeepWall

First-time buyer
Established
I could have stretched further to win one of the earlier bids, or kept making conservative offers and risked never buying. Neither option felt particularly comfortable, but after several rejections and a drawn-out document stage, the São Paulo purchase is finally complete.

The rejections gave me a better sense of sellers’ priorities, although I agree that price and timing need to be separated. The bigger lesson came near completion: keep a cash reserve for repairs and planned energy upgrades, and write down the next action, the person responsible and the expected date. I did not establish that clearly enough during the final week.

For those who have completed a first purchase, which overlooked detail caused the most trouble? I’m especially curious whether delays usually came from the lender, missing paperwork or unclear responsibility.
 
Keeping cash back is the lesson people usually learn too late. Repairs, moving coordination and unexpected fees can all compete for the same reserve. I would add one caveat: rejected offers are only useful data if you understand why they lost. A seller choosing a faster timeline is different from the price simply being too low.
 
What actually extended the document process: lender timing, missing paperwork, or uncertainty over who had to act? Your point about ownership of each step sounds like the most reusable one. A written list of the next action, responsible person and target date could also help expose a delay before the final week. I’d keep inspection findings separate from desired energy upgrades when deciding how much cash remains available.
 
Back
Top