Madrid around €395,600: act now or wait for better stock?

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I need to decide soon whether to pursue a Madrid property near €395,600 or give the market more time, and the trade-off is awkward. My October 2024 notes suggest that well-presented duplexes become unavailable after about 14 days, while properties requiring work remain listed. There is more stock overall, but little extra that meets my buying criteria.

I can see why that speed argues for acting, although I am not ready to treat it as proof of completed demand. The asking and completion samples in my tracking are about 8.4% apart, but they may cover different properties or periods. I’d rather verify the source date, transaction volume and neighbourhood pattern first. If the fast turnover is concentrated in the areas and condition I want, I may need to bid promptly; if it is only a Madrid-wide mix effect, waiting is less costly.
 
My first suspicion is a data mismatch rather than a sudden 8.4% market-wide discount. Today’s asking listings and recently completed transactions may represent different homes and different stages of the market. The quick duplexes could also be disappearing because they are reserved or withdrawn, not completed. I wouldn’t base the buy-or-wait decision on that gap yet.
 
How many duplexes produced the 14-day figure, and what counts as “moving”? If it is only a handful marked unavailable, the average could be misleading. I’d also want to know whether the 8.4% compares the same properties from listing to completion, or merely two groups in a similar price band.
 
I’m not convinced seasonality is the main explanation. More listings alongside fewer attractive options can simply mean lower-quality or overpriced stock is accumulating. That would make good homes look unusually fast without proving that the whole market is strengthening. Transaction volume matters here: stable prices on very few completed deals would tell a different story from stable prices with active turnover.
 
Agreed on volume. I’d separate the analysis into three groups: renovated duplexes, comparable homes needing work, and everything else. Then track initial asking price, any reductions, days until status changes, and the eventual completed price where available. Camila-wide—sorry, citywide—averages won’t resolve whether the apparent 8.4% gap belongs to one property segment.
 
Also preserve each observation date rather than overwriting the spreadsheet when a listing changes. Otherwise reductions disappear from the history and the original asking-price comparison becomes unreliable. For October 2024, note publication and revision dates for any market figures, plus the period the completed transactions actually cover. Policy or financing changes should only be considered if their timing overlaps that period.
 
The €395,600 ceiling could itself be shaping what you see. A citywide comparison may mix smaller finished homes in expensive areas with larger renovation projects elsewhere, even though they compete for the same budget. I’d divide your search by neighbourhood and usable floor area, then compare condition within each group. That should reveal whether “more listings, fewer worth buying” is local or widespread.
 
What specifically removes a listing from your “would buy” group: condition, layout, building issues, location, or price? That matters because a rise in renovation stock could look like weaker inventory to you while still representing genuine additional supply. It would also help explain why the well-presented duplex subset behaves differently.
 
One practical way forward: keep the €395,600 limit fixed for four to six more weekly snapshots and record new, reduced, reserved, removed, and relisted properties separately. Use medians rather than letting one expensive or heavily discounted home dominate. If the same pattern survives a larger sample and appears across several neighbourhood groups, buyer selectivity becomes a stronger explanation than October noise.
 
Back
Top