Madrid country homes: 21 days listed, uneven supply and flood-risk questions

sharp_journal

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
I’m sense-checking a Madrid property sample priced from €345,900 to €518,900. It is mostly country homes, and the typical listing has been visible for 21 days. Some appear to move quickly while others linger, so I’m trying to separate a genuine supply issue from differences in condition, location and seller expectations. I’m also unsure how much weight to give flood risk without looking street by street. What are recent completed sales, new-listing volume, withdrawals and price-cut timing showing?
 
Twenty-one days of visibility cannot tell you much by itself. A listing may be withdrawn, relisted or left online after negotiations start, while a completed sale reflects an earlier market. I’d first define what counts as Madrid in your sample. With country homes, two properties under the same broad location label may have very different surroundings and buyer pools.
 
Also, are you recording the original asking price or only today’s price? A home showing 21 days at €450,000 after an earlier reduction is not comparable with a fresh listing launched there. I’d separate untouched listings, reduced listings and withdrawn stock before concluding that local supply explains the gap.
 
I’m not convinced supply is the main explanation. In that bracket, condition and buyer financing can divide apparently similar properties very quickly. A ready property offered by a motivated seller may attract attention, while one needing substantial work can sit even if there are few alternatives. Flood exposure is another reason not to treat country homes as one market; it needs checking at the precise location rather than inferred from “Madrid.”
 
A simple tracking sheet would help: location as precisely as the listing allows, first-seen date, original and current price, condition, withdrawn or still active, and whether a completed-sale comparison exists. Add a separate flood-risk note rather than adjusting every property by a guessed amount. After a few updates, you should see whether cuts happen around the same point or only on obviously ambitious listings.
 
That exposes the weakness in my notes: I used Madrid as the search area rather than keeping tight neighbourhood boundaries, so the country homes are being compared too broadly. I also recorded current asking prices, not consistently the initial ones. I’ll rebuild the sample into smaller location groups and distinguish reductions from genuinely new listings before reading too much into the 21-day figure.
 
That should make it more useful, but completed sales still need to be as similar as possible in condition and setting. Seller motivation is mostly invisible, so a withdrawal should not automatically be treated as a failed sale. For flood risk, flag the exact properties needing further investigation and verify them through appropriate local information rather than using a general Madrid-wide assumption.
 
Back
Top