Madrid first-time buyer: is €34,960 enough cash after closing?

warm_grain

First-time buyer
We finally had an offer accepted after repeatedly losing to cleaner offers, but I do not want that relief to push us too close to the edge. It is a 5-bed detached home in Madrid at about €1,090,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, we should have roughly €34,960 left.

The inspection is still to come and may identify ordinary first-year work. How would you divide that remaining cash among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I also need to allow for any service charges, the insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. I would rather reconsider the price now than have every small problem become an emergency.
 
Start with a genuinely untouchable emergency fund based on several months of your essential household spending, including the new mortgage. From what remains, reserve money for moving and only safety-critical or damage-prevention repairs. Furniture can be bought gradually.

I would not commit the whole €34,960 to named purchases yet. The inspection could change the calculation substantially, and the first few bills often arrive before you have settled into a normal monthly rhythm.
 
The missing facts are the condition and age of the house, plus whether you already own enough furniture to function. A detached 5-bed can offer plenty of opportunities to spend, but an inspection finding requiring prompt work is very different from dated decoration.

Also confirm the exact timing of the first mortgage payment and whether there are any community or service charges despite it being detached. Until those figures are clear, I would be cautious about treating €34,960 as comfortably available.
 
One point where I differ slightly from mpopescu3: I would not create a meaningful furniture budget before the inspection at all. Set aside only enough for moving and true essentials.

When the report arrives, sort every item into three groups: urgent before moving, needed within the first year, and cosmetic or deferrable. Get written cost estimates for the first group, confirm payment dates with the lender and insurer, then see what remains untouched. If urgent work plus the emergency fund consumes nearly everything, that is a reason to revisit the purchase rather than rely on future income to rescue the budget.
 
Back
Top