Madrid mortgage: comparing a 3.11% five-year fixed quote on a €1.09m purchase

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I want five years of payment certainty. The obstacle is that the cheapest headline offer is not necessarily the cheapest option for my loan size.

The purchase is around €1,090,000 in Madrid, and one lender is offering 3.11% fixed for five years. Fees and the applicable loan-to-value band make the initial advertised figures difficult to compare directly. APR gives one view, but it may obscure the cost during the period I actually expect to keep the fixed rate.

Would you total the payments and compulsory charges over those five years while tracking the remaining principal separately? I also plan to compare monthly affordability, early repayment terms, portability and the reset calculation. A higher-rate scenario after year five seems important if refinancing is not available.
 
For a five-year decision, I’d compare the cash actually paid during those five years: monthly payments, arrangement fees and any other required costs, while separately tracking how much principal remains. APR is useful, but it can mislead if offers use different assumptions or if you expect to refinance or sell before the full loan term. I’d run a second scenario where refinancing after year five is unavailable or unattractive.
 
What is the overall mortgage term, and does 3.11% apply only within a particular loan-to-value band? Without those two details, even the five-year cash comparison is incomplete. Also ask each lender to show the payment after the fixed period under its stated reset method. That may matter more to affordability than a modest fee difference today.
 
I wouldn’t make the refinance assumption central. Five years is long enough for rates, property value and lending criteria to move against you, so portability and early-repayment wording deserve their own comparison rather than being folded into one headline number.

A practical table would have one column per offer: upfront fees, five-year payments, principal outstanding after five years, reset terms, early-repayment cost and whether portability is actually available for the intended move. Then compare both “keep the mortgage” and “exit after five years” cases, with the lender confirming how the terms apply in Spain.
 
Back
Top