Before completion, I need to decide how much cash is genuinely available for setting up the flat and how much must remain untouched. We secured the 1-bed Madrid new-build after losing several earlier bids, but I do not want that relief to encourage careless spending.
The purchase price is about €496,800. Based on the deposit and costs estimated so far, around €35,880 should remain. That sum still has to absorb the move, any inspection priorities, the initial mortgage cycle, service charges and a possible insurance excess.
Would you ring-fence the emergency fund first and buy furniture gradually, or create separate budgets now? For example, I could limit the first move-in purchases to a bed and basic lighting until the inspection findings and actual monthly outgoings are clear.
The purchase price is about €496,800. Based on the deposit and costs estimated so far, around €35,880 should remain. That sum still has to absorb the move, any inspection priorities, the initial mortgage cycle, service charges and a possible insurance excess.
Would you ring-fence the emergency fund first and buy furniture gradually, or create separate budgets now? For example, I could limit the first move-in purchases to a bed and basic lighting until the inspection findings and actual monthly outgoings are clear.