Madrid rental: €372,600 purchase and €1,361 monthly rent after 54 days

neat_creek

Landlord
The surprising part is how quickly the 4.4% gross yield loses its appeal once ordinary costs are added. This five-bedroom detached home in Madrid has been marketed for 54 days at €372,600, with expected rent of €1,361 per month.

I have modelled vacancy, management, ongoing maintenance and one sizeable repair, but the resulting cash flow still depends heavily on the rent holding up. A change in local rental supply or more frequent tenant turnover could alter it further. Financing would also make a thin margin much more sensitive.

Before choosing a required return, which address-specific figure should I verify first: property tax, insurance, management charges or likely turnover costs? I’m looking for the item most capable of turning modest positive cash flow into a loss.
 
Tenant turnover may hurt more than routine vacancy, particularly if the €1,361 assumes renting the entire five-bedroom house to one household. A changeover can combine an empty period with cleaning, repairs and management work.

Are your property-tax and insurance figures based on this specific home, and does your return include financing? At 4.4% gross, small errors in either can materially reduce cash flow.
 
I’d push back on choosing a required net yield before testing the financing and rent assumptions. A cash purchase and a leveraged purchase can make the same property look very different.

I’d run three cases: €1,361 with normal occupancy, lower rent plus a longer void, and the same rent with higher turnover and a major repair. Add the actual property tax, insurance and management quotes for this address. If the deal only works in the first case, the 4.4% headline yield is too thin to rely on.
 
Back
Top