Madrid student housing: does a 7.4% price movement reflect local supply?

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I’m trying to decide how much weight to give a 7.4% price movement in a small sample of Madrid student housing priced from €309,100 to €463,700. Median marketing time was about 9 days, although differences in condition made the average fairly noisy.

What I cannot settle is the local supply picture. Are buyers negotiating because they have alternatives, or simply rejecting a listing and moving to the next one? I’m especially interested in how recent completed sales compare with new listings and withdrawn stock.
 
Nine days is too short to read as clear evidence of successful negotiation. I’d first separate genuinely new listings from relisted or withdrawn properties, then narrow the area tightly. Madrid neighbourhood boundaries can turn a supposedly local comparison into several different markets. If comparable stock keeps appearing, buyers can move on; if not, condition and seller motivation probably explain more than headline supply.
 
Is the 7.4% movement based on asking prices, price cuts, or completed sales? Those tell very different stories. I’d also split properties by condition and confirm what qualifies as “student housing” in the sample. Buyer financing could matter too: a quick disappearance may be a completed deal, a failed financing attempt, or a withdrawal rather than evidence that the asking price held.
 
That distinction is important. Completed sales are the better comparison, but they may not describe what buyers are seeing today. New-listing volume and withdrawals can still show whether choice is expanding or only rotating.

I would track each listing’s original price, first reduction date, days visible, condition and final status. That should reveal whether the 9-day median reflects sales or simply listings leaving the market.
 
I wouldn’t overbuild a supply conclusion from such a small sample. Start with a few tightly matched completed sales, then compare current listings within the same neighbourhood boundary and condition bracket. After that, look at when cuts occurred and whether motivated sellers behaved differently. If the 7.4% disappears once condition or location is controlled, it was probably a mix issue rather than a broad Madrid signal.
 
Back
Top