Madrid studio: does “as-is” conflict with an inspection contingency?

The detail that changed my view of this Madrid studio was a potentially substantial property-tax exposure. Our price assumes an as-is purchase, while a separate clause allows for an inspection. The seller argues that even asking for information or a credit contradicts that basis.

We are not trying to reopen negotiations over visible wear. I need to decide whether to keep the agreed price, seek a narrowly calculated credit, or cancel without putting the deposit at unnecessary risk. Which wording should be checked first to establish whether the protection covers anything beyond physical defects, and does the seller’s reason for selling matter when judging a credit request?

I am reviewing completed studio sales as a pricing check. School catchment may affect value, but I am not sure it belongs in the same calculation as a newly discovered tax liability.
 
To clarify, I’m not asking the seller to improve the studio. The distinction I’m testing is between accepting the physical condition and accepting an unknown financial liability. There is also a response deadline, so letting the argument continue indefinitely isn’t an option. Would stronger proof of financing make a narrowly framed credit request more credible?
 
Commercially, as-is usually signals that the buyer priced in the visible condition and will not produce a list of minor repairs. An inspection contingency can still serve as an exit if something serious emerges. However, requesting a credit and having a right to cancel are different things: the seller may simply refuse the credit. Whether you can then leave safely depends on the exact wording, deadline and deposit terms.
 
What exactly is the property-tax problem: an unpaid amount, a mismatch in how the studio is described, or concern about future annual charges? Those lead to different decisions. Also, does the contingency actually mention financial or administrative findings, or only the physical inspection? I would answer those questions before debating the size of any credit.
 
The seller may see any request for money as inconsistent with an as-is deal, but I am not convinced that resolves the real question. A building inspection normally concerns physical condition; research into tax or administrative exposure may fall under a different contract term, if it is covered at all.

That leaves a concrete choice. You can ask for a credit, knowing the seller can reject it, but you should not assume the inspection clause then gives you a safe exit. Before the response deadline, have the relevant wording and deposit consequences checked in the Madrid context.
 
For pricing, use completed studio sales where they are genuinely comparable rather than nearby asking prices. Separate adjustments for condition, exact micro-location and any meaningful catchment difference. A tax uncertainty should not be hidden inside a broad comparison adjustment: estimate its effect separately, then decide whether the current price still works. Otherwise it becomes too easy for both sides to argue from different numbers.
 
That separation makes sense. School catchment might influence demand and resale, but it does not answer who bears the tax problem. I’d verify the catchment independently and compare like with like where possible. Then present the seller with one focused position: the offer already reflects physical condition, while the requested adjustment relates only to the newly identified tax exposure.
 
Stronger financing proof may reassure the seller that this is not an excuse to renegotiate everything, but it does not solve an appraisal gap. If the lender’s valuation comes in below the agreed price, that is a separate risk from the inspection and tax issue. Check which contingency, if any, deals with financing or valuation rather than assuming the inspection wording covers it.
 
Seller motivation matters here. A seller prioritising speed may prefer a defined credit and a firm timetable; one focused on price may refuse any reduction and accept the risk of losing you. Instead of an open-ended request, give a short set of alternatives: proceed at the current price if the concern is resolved, proceed with a specified adjustment, or terminate under whatever right your wording actually provides.
 
Do not let the response deadline pass while arguing about the “spirit” of the offer. Before sending anything, have a Madrid property lawyer confirm in writing what notice is required, what the contingency covers and when the deposit could be at risk. The practical danger is not the seller rejecting a credit; it is making an unclear request or missing the contractual route for walking away.
 
Agreed with Oscar. The clean sequence is: identify the tax issue precisely, map it to the actual contract language, confirm the notice deadline, quantify it separately from physical repairs, and only then make one written proposal. Keep financing proof available as reassurance, but don’t trade away inspection or deposit protection merely to look like the easier buyer.
 
Back
Top