I’d like the numbers to work without depending on appreciation, but the purchase costs may make that difficult. The Madrid villa has five bedrooms, an asking price of €400,200 and projected rent of €2,188 a month. Twelve months produces the quoted gross yield of about 6.6%.
I have rerun it using eleven months’ rent, then deducted management, normal upkeep and a provision for expensive work. The structure appears sound, although I have not yet settled the figures for insurance, tenant changes and the full cost of buying. Which of those tends to do the most damage in practice? I also need to verify whether the rent is for one household or separate rooms, and whether it is supported by a proposed tenancy rather than listings.
I have rerun it using eleven months’ rent, then deducted management, normal upkeep and a provision for expensive work. The structure appears sound, although I have not yet settled the figures for insurance, tenant changes and the full cost of buying. Which of those tends to do the most damage in practice? I also need to verify whether the rent is for one household or separate rooms, and whether it is supported by a proposed tenancy rather than listings.