Madrid villas: does a 103-day marketing period signal a shift?

jules.shore

First-time buyer
I’m reviewing Madrid villas in two neighbourhoods and the citywide average seems too broad to help. For January 2026, I tracked a narrow group marketed between €246,600 and €369,800; the current marketing period is roughly 103 days.

Rental regulation may affect demand more than the monthly price headline, but I’m unsure how to interpret this. Does it look like ordinary variation between individual properties, or an early change in this part of Spain? What would you compare next?
 
On those figures alone, I’d call it property-level variation rather than a market turn. A 103-day period can combine correctly priced homes with poor-condition villas or sellers testing ambitious prices. Recent completed sales would be more revealing than current asking prices. I’d also separate homes that sold after a cut from those that disappeared without selling.
 
I’m not sure the 103-day figure supports a market conclusion yet. If it measures the age of homes still advertised, it excludes villas that completed or were withdrawn and may mostly reflect stubborn sellers. Marketing time for completed transactions would tell you something different.

The two neighbourhood samples could also shift sharply with a small boundary change, especially if that brings in different plot sizes, property condition or buyer types. I’d define the boundaries first, then separate available, sold and withdrawn villas before comparing their condition and timing.
 
I wouldn’t put rental regulation first unless these villas are attracting buyers who depend on rental income. Financing and seller motivation could matter more for this particular price band. If listings are ageing but sellers are not cutting prices, that suggests patience; repeated early cuts would be a more meaningful sign of weakening demand.
 
One addition to Bianca’s question: track withdrawn stock separately. A withdrawn villa should not automatically be treated as a failed sale, but several withdrawals alongside low new-listing volume can make the visible 103-day figure look healthier or worse than the underlying market. Record original price, first cut date, current status and condition for each property.
 
The useful comparison is probably a small matrix for each neighbourhood: completed sales, new listings, withdrawals, days until the first price cut, condition and whether buyer financing appears relevant. Keep the €246,600–€369,800 band consistent. If January 2026 brings more stock, earlier reductions and weaker completed prices together, the shift argument becomes stronger; one long marketing-period figure by itself does not establish it.
 
Back
Top