Either I accept the £2,658 monthly rent at face value, or I reduce it enough that the investment no longer looks compelling. Neither approach feels comfortable without better evidence for a 1-bed detached home in Manchester priced at £436,800.
At the quoted rent the gross yield is about 7.3%. The building appears sound, and my base case allows for vacancy, management, routine upkeep and one larger repair, while assuming no appreciation. Insurance is the cost most likely to move the result sharply, but financing changes and tenant turnover could also weaken net cash flow.
What would alter your decision first: a lower supported rent, a larger maintenance reserve, or higher borrowing costs? I am also interested in the net yield you would require after those adjustments.
At the quoted rent the gross yield is about 7.3%. The building appears sound, and my base case allows for vacancy, management, routine upkeep and one larger repair, while assuming no appreciation. Insurance is the cost most likely to move the result sharply, but financing changes and tenant turnover could also weaken net cash flow.
What would alter your decision first: a lower supported rent, a larger maintenance reserve, or higher borrowing costs? I am also interested in the net yield you would require after those adjustments.