Manchester 3-bed at £183,300 and £656/month — does the net yield work?

miro_ash

Property manager
Established
I’m assessing a 3-bed country home in Manchester at £183,300, with expected rent of £656 per month. That is £7,872 annually and roughly 4.3% gross.

The building appears sound, but the spreadsheet becomes marginal after vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger-repair reserve. Insurance could weaken it further. Which local ownership cost am I most likely to have missed, and what net yield would justify the risk for you?
 
At only £7,872 gross rent, there is very little room for error. I would get an insurance quotation for this exact property rather than estimate it, then account for council tax and utilities during any vacancy. Even before financing, purchase costs and major works, the net yield will be materially below 4.3%. I would not proceed based on the headline yield.
 
Is £656 supported by comparable current rents, or is it the seller’s estimate? Also, are you buying with cash or borrowing? Financing sensitivity could decide this before insurance does. I’d also want to know what “country home” means here in terms of construction, access and distance from the tenant market, because those points may affect both insurance and turnover.
 
I’m not convinced insurance is automatically the largest danger unless the quotation reveals something property-specific. Repeated tenant turnover, management charges and one badly timed repair can collectively matter more.

Rather than choosing a target yield in isolation, obtain written rent evidence, an itemised management fee schedule and an actual insurance quote. Then compare the resulting return with simpler alternatives and consider whether you are relying on future price growth to rescue weak cash flow.
 
The arithmetic shows how narrow the margin is. On the £183,300 price alone, a 3% net yield requires £5,499 annual net income, leaving £2,373 of the £7,872 rent for all operating costs. At 3.5% net, the cost allowance falls to about £1,457.

I’d run those limits under cash purchase and several borrowing-cost scenarios, while keeping purchase costs separate. If realistic vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance and empty-period bills exceed the allowance, the asking price or rent needs to change.
 
Back
Top