Manchester 5-bed duplex at £963,300 and £3,773/month — do the numbers work?

bakesAndView

Developer
Established
Paying £963,300 for this duplex feels difficult to justify on a thin first-year margin, but rejecting an otherwise sound property purely because the initial return is modest also feels premature. The proposed rent for the 5-bed is £3,773 per month, or £45,276 annually, giving a gross yield of about 4.7%.

My figures include vacancy, management, routine maintenance and one large repair. The less certain items are insurance and the cost of replacing tenants. Those could materially alter an already narrow result, especially if turnover and a repair land in the same year.

Is there a Manchester-specific cost, or a feature of this type of duplex, that I may be missing? I am trying to judge the deal on sustainable cash flow rather than decide that 4.7% is either acceptable or unacceptable in isolation.
 
At 4.7% gross, I would focus less on choosing a target net yield and more on how quickly ordinary costs consume the spread. Insurance, tenant turnover and re-letting expenses could matter as much as routine maintenance. Test the result with a meaningful vacant period plus a major repair occurring in the same year; if the cash flow becomes uncomfortable, the purchase price is doing you no favours.
 
One missing fact could change the whole calculation: does £3,773 assume the duplex is let under one tenancy or room by room? That affects turnover assumptions, management intensity and who is expected to cover council tax and utilities. I’d also establish the tenure and whether there are service charges or building-level works that sit outside your repair reserve.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat vacancy as the biggest danger. If the rent comes from one tenancy, a single departure can remove all income, but management may be simpler. Room-by-room letting may spread vacancy risk while creating more turnover and upkeep. Either way, the quoted rent needs evidence that it matches the intended letting arrangement, not merely an optimistic annual total.
 
Separate the property test from the financing test. First calculate the unlevered net yield after every recurring cost and a realistic turnover allowance. Then run the borrowing costs independently at the proposed rate and at a higher rate, rather than letting leverage disguise a weak underlying return.

I’d model at least three years: an ordinary year, a vacancy-and-repair year, and a year with higher insurance or management costs. There is no universal acceptable net yield; the relevant question is whether the return still compensates you after those scenarios compared with less operationally demanding alternatives.
 
The tenancy structure is the gap in my notes. I haven’t confirmed whether the £3,773 figure assumes one tenancy or room-by-room letting, and I also need the tenure, service-charge position, insurance basis and responsibility for council tax and utilities.

I’ll rebuild the model with those separated, include a combined vacancy-and-major-repair year, and keep financing sensitivity outside the property-level return. I won’t treat the 4.7% headline figure as meaningful until the rent basis and building costs are documented.
 
Back
Top