Manchester apartment at £358,800: buy or keep renting with high building fees?

gia.dawn

First-time buyer
Established
Keeping the rental means giving up the chance to accumulate ownership. Buying the similar Manchester apartment for about £358,800 means accepting a monthly outlay well above my rent, so neither option feels especially comfortable.

I may leave the area within five to seven years. In that case I would either sell and absorb the transaction costs or keep the flat and take on landlord responsibilities. Against that, continuing to rent preserves flexibility but leaves me with no equity at the end of the period.

How would you compare those consequences without relying on price growth? I am particularly interested in a downside case that includes rising building charges, weak shared reserves, heavier maintenance and difficulty reselling. What building records would tell me whether the current fees are temporarily low rather than sustainable?
 
Separate mortgage principal from the true cost of owning, then compare rent with interest, tax, fees, maintenance, insurance exposure and buying and selling costs. I would run a five-year case with no price growth and rising building costs. If buying only works with appreciation, it is a fairly fragile decision—especially when your likely holding period is limited.
 
Before deciding, what do you know about the building itself? The current fee alone is not enough. Ask how it has changed, whether shared reserves look adequate, whether major work is anticipated and what insurance is included. Also compare energy use and maintenance intensity with your rental. A superficially comparable apartment can have a very different monthly cost.
 
That is the weak point in my comparison. I’ve been treating the present building charge as though it were fixed rather than testing what happens if reserves are inadequate or costs rise. I also don’t want the purchase to depend on appreciation. I’ll recalculate with principal shown separately and include a sale after both five and seven years.
 
I wouldn’t conclude that renting automatically wins just because five to seven years sounds short. Your rent can change too, and ownership gives you more control over the apartment. But I would not use “I can always rent it out” as the escape route without allowing for vacancy risk, management workload, maintenance and uncertain tenant demand. That is a second decision, not a free alternative to selling.
 
Add a resale test as well as a cash-flow test. Consider whether buyers are likely to be put off by the level or unpredictability of the building fees, because that affects liquidity even if the apartment itself remains attractive. I’d make three simple scenarios: sell after five years, sell after seven, and keep it as a rental. If only the optimistic scenario beats continuing to rent, the flexibility you already have is valuable.
 
Back
Top