Manchester apartments: 69 days around £1,026,000—signal or listing bias?

wise_book

Property investor
Established
I’ve taken a current snapshot of Manchester apartments priced from £820,600 to £1,231,000, centred roughly on £1,026,000. The sample suggests about 69 days to find a buyer.

Most of the obvious outliers appear to have lease-length issues, but I’m concerned that active listings are distorting the picture by excluding completed and withdrawn properties. Would you compare recent completed sales first, or track this month’s new listings and price reductions before drawing a conclusion? Agents here are giving me conflicting seasonal explanations.
 
The listings still online will naturally overrepresent homes that are taking longer, so I wouldn’t treat 69 days as the market-wide answer. Recent completions are the better comparison, though they describe an earlier market. I’d also count withdrawn stock separately; otherwise an unsuccessful listing can disappear from your sample and make the result look healthier than it was.
 
If you need an answer before this month’s listings resolve, the boundary choice is the first thing to settle. You can revise a neighbourhood grouping later, but a 69-day figure based on the latest relisting date may permanently miss the earlier marketing period. I’d confirm that the apartments are comparable in location and condition, then record both the original appearance and any relisting. At this price level, those differences may outweigh the seasonal explanation.
 
I’m not convinced lease length explains most of the outliers without testing the other variables. Condition and buyer financing can both affect how long a higher-priced apartment sits, even when the asking prices look comparable. Split the sample by lease length, condition and neighbourhood first. If the 69-day pattern survives those divisions, the seasonal argument becomes more plausible.
 
A simple rolling table would help: original listing date, current price, first price-cut date, agreed-sale date if visible, and whether the property was withdrawn. Then compare new-listing volume with the number going under offer each week. Price-cut timing is especially useful—a property agreeing after 69 days but only shortly after a reduction tells a different story from one holding its original price throughout.
 
I’d add seller motivation to that table where it can reasonably be inferred, but avoid assuming every long listing is weak demand. Some sellers may simply hold out, while buyers in this price band may need more time to arrange financing.

The practical answer is to keep the £820,600–£1,231,000 band but create separate neighbourhood and condition groups, then compare active, completed and withdrawn properties. Until those groups tell a similar story, £1,026,000 and 69 days describe this sample rather than Manchester as a whole.
 
Back
Top