Manchester mixed-use deals: what still cash-flows after realistic costs?

SlowGrove

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
Founding Member
I’ve modelled several Manchester mixed-use buildings around £791,700, and each turns cash-flow negative once I include vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and finance at 4.37%. The headline gross yields look reasonable, but the operating figures do not.

My choice now seems to be bidding lower, contributing substantially more equity, or waiting. I’m also comparing completed sale prices rather than relying on asking prices. For anyone who proceeded with a property near this price, which assumptions or features made the deal work?
 
Putting in more equity can make the monthly cash flow positive, but it doesn’t automatically make the property a better investment. I’d first reverse the calculation: use your required net return and expenses to determine the maximum price.

How are the residential and commercial rents split, and who carries insurance, maintenance and property-tax-related costs under the commercial lease? Those details could materially change the result.
 
One caveat: a single vacancy allowance may distort a mixed-use model. The shop and residential units can have very different void periods and tenant-turnover costs. I’d model each part separately before concluding the whole building fails.
 
Agreed on separating the uses, although I wouldn’t soften the overall vacancy assumption merely to rescue the deal. Run a normal case plus a case where the commercial space is empty for longer while residential tenants also turn over. Add the costs that continue during a void and any re-letting expenditure.

I’d also compare the advertised rents with rents actually supportable for each part of the building. A low purchase price does not help if the income estimate is optimistic.
 
Some buyers will accept weak current cash flow because they expect rent growth or capital appreciation. I wouldn’t treat either as the base case. If the property cannot tolerate a higher financing cost or an unexpected repair, the margin is too thin for me.
 
I’d put every candidate into the same table: rent by unit, vacancy by use, management, routine maintenance, larger reserves, insurance, property-tax or rates exposure, finance and tenant-turnover costs. Then test 4.37%, a higher financing rate, a prolonged commercial void and one significant repair.

From there, calculate the purchase price that meets your target under the ordinary case and remains manageable under the stressed case. If that figure is well below £791,700, the practical answer is a lower offer or no purchase—not forcing the spreadsheet to justify the asking price.
 
Back
Top