Manchester townhouse at £838,500: how much weak cash flow is acceptable?

bakesAndView

Developer
Established
I’m considering an £838,500 townhouse in Manchester. Its current yield is modest, but the employment and transport fundamentals look stronger than in cheaper, higher-yield markets that may be less liquid.

My concern is allowing an appreciation story to excuse weak numbers. I’m thinking of requiring a minimum net cash return before assigning any value to future growth. That calculation would include vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance, any property tax or council-tax exposure, financing sensitivity and tenant turnover.

How would you structure the downside test? I’m looking for reasons not to proceed, rather than reassurance about Manchester.
 
Start by giving appreciation a value of zero. If the townhouse still meets your required return after realistic operating costs and finance, future growth is optional upside rather than the justification for buying.

The missing facts are expected rent, deposit, interest terms and whether the property is likely to attract longer-term tenants. Without those, “modest yield” could mean slightly thin or permanently cash-flow negative. I’d also test a vacancy followed by maintenance and reletting costs in the same year.
 
Positive cash flow is a useful filter. My concern is treating it as an absolute rule when a lower-return property may still be the stronger asset.

For example, this townhouse could justify a thin initial return if its tenant demand and resale prospects are demonstrably better than those of the higher-yield alternative. That case still has to survive a like-for-like comparison including financing, vacancy, maintenance reserves and any council-tax or other property-tax exposure. I would also stress it with lower rent, a longer void and an early sale.

Manchester-wide employment and transport strengths do not establish demand for this street or this particular townhouse. If the £838,500 purchase only becomes acceptable after adding assumed appreciation, the downside test has already given you the answer.
 
Back
Top