Manila 3-bed at PHP 61.19m: does PHP 211,200 rent leave enough margin?

good_vale

Real estate agent
Established
The deal only makes sense to me if the recurring owner costs leave a worthwhile margin. The property is a new-build 3-bed flat in Manila priced at PHP 61,190,000, with projected rent of PHP 211,200 a month. That produces the broker’s gross yield of about 4.1%.

I have allowed for empty periods, agent management, normal upkeep and an occasional substantial repair. What I do not yet have are firm figures for association dues, property tax and insurance, or confirmation of whether any of them are covered by the quoted rent.

I would not proceed solely on the headline yield. If verified costs still produce acceptable net cash flow under a lower-rent scenario, I may make a conditional offer; otherwise I will leave it. Which owner expense tends to be missed in this type of Manila building?
 
First clarify whether the quoted rent is inclusive of building or association dues. If the owner pays them, that can make the broker’s gross figure much less useful. I’d also model property tax and insurance separately rather than hiding them inside a general reserve. Have you received actual figures for those three items, or only the purchase price and rent estimate?
 
I wouldn’t assume insurance is the largest leak. At this price and yield, tenant turnover could hurt more: vacancy between tenants, cleaning, minor refurbishment and the cost of finding the next tenant can arrive together. Test the deal with lower rent and a longer empty period, not just the broker’s expected case.
 
The financing structure matters too. A 4.1% gross yield leaves limited room after recurring costs, so borrowed money could make cash flow very sensitive to the interest rate and vacancy. Personally, I would not accept a projected net yield below about 3% here unless there were a separate, well-supported reason to expect value growth. That is a preference, not a Manila-wide rule.
 
Rosa’s turnover point depends partly on the target tenant. Is PHP 211,200 based on a furnished or unfurnished lease, and does your maintenance reserve include replacing furniture and appliances if supplied? I’d ask for comparable signed rents rather than advertised rents, plus the typical time those units remain available. A new-build label does not remove handover defects or early maintenance surprises either.
 
Before choosing a required net yield, turn the unknowns into quotes: annual building dues, the latest property-tax amount, management terms, and insurance priced for this exact unit. Also ask what the building’s master policy covers and what remains the unit owner’s responsibility, including exclusions and deductibles.

Then run three cases: expected rent, reduced rent, and several vacant months with a tenant change. If the purchase only works in the first case, the 4.1% headline is doing too much of the selling.
 
Back
Top