Manila condo closing costs: what tends to appear after the first estimate?

EarnestBrick

First-time buyer
Established
After 106 days of looking, I’m building a proper closing-cost checklist for a Manila condo priced around PHP 24,940,000. I have transfer tax, registration and legal/notary fees on the list, but the ownership restrictions, recurring property charges and tax treatment seem to depend heavily on how the unit is held.

What costs or complications were absent from the initial estimate but appeared later? I also want to ask a licensed local professional about residency, capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning. This is for preparing questions, not personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for two itemised schedules: everything due to complete the purchase, and everything payable each year afterward. Also have each line marked buyer, seller or negotiable rather than assuming the label tells you who pays. For the condo itself, request the current recurring charges and ask whether any unpaid amounts or planned assessments could attach to the unit.
 
Are you buying personally, and are you a Philippine citizen or foreign buyer? That missing fact could change the ownership discussion substantially. I would settle the permitted holding structure before spending too much time refining the tax estimate. Also ask whether the quoted PHP 24,940,000 is being treated as the only relevant value for calculating every charge; don’t assume one figure is used throughout.
 
I agree on clarifying eligibility first, but I wouldn’t let that delay basic due diligence. The legal structure and the unit’s financial position can be investigated in parallel. Ask the adviser to separate taxes from professional fees, registration expenses and building-related liabilities. Otherwise a single “closing costs” number makes it difficult to see what can still change before completion.
 
Inheritance planning is the part I would not leave until after signing. The cheapest structure at purchase may not be the simplest if the owner dies, becomes non-resident or later transfers the condo. Ask a Philippine professional to compare the proposed holding options across purchase, annual ownership, eventual sale and succession. Capital-gains treatment should be confirmed for the intended facts rather than inferred from the word “condo.”
 
One further practical question: is your estimate a fixed quotation or merely an illustration? Ask who updates it, when each amount becomes final, and what evidence supports any annual charge. I’d also request a written list of assumptions covering citizenship, residency, ownership form, financing, intended use and future transfer. That should expose where the estimate is relying on facts that have not yet been confirmed.
 
Back
Top