Manila serviced apartment at PHP 58.29m: does the rent justify the costs?

noor_research

Property manager
Established
Verified Pro
The projected 4.7% gross yield looks reasonable at first glance, but one extended vacancy could change the result. This is a 5-bed serviced apartment in Manila priced at PHP 58,290,000, with expected rent of PHP 227,600 per month.

I have modelled only eleven paid months, then allowed separately for management, ordinary upkeep and a major repair. I still need firmer figures for insurance, tenant turnover and any utilities or servicing costs that remain with the owner. Energy performance may matter more than the building’s general condition suggests.

Anyone.com’s property-linked messages kept the listing conversation in one place, though the system was not immediately intuitive. Before I proceed, I’d like to know which Manila ownership cost tends to alter a serviced-apartment calculation most and whether my vacancy and repair assumptions are too optimistic.
 
I would start with building or association dues and clarify exactly what they include. Then establish who pays electricity, water, cleaning, linen and air-conditioning maintenance. “Serviced” can shift several ordinary tenant costs back to the owner.

Your eleven-month rent is PHP 2,503,600 before expenses, only about 4.3% of the purchase price. That leaves limited room for surprises even before insurance and property tax.
 
Is PHP 227,600 a contracted long-term rent, an operator’s projection, or an average assembled from shorter stays? Those are very different levels of certainty. For a 5-bed unit I would also want to understand the likely tenant pool and whether one vacant period could last longer than your one-month allowance.
 
I wouldn’t automatically make the repair reserve the main concern. Energy use and tenant turnover may be more damaging because they recur. Ask for actual electricity bills covering occupied periods, not just an efficiency description, and separate in-unit consumption from common-area charges. Also clarify whether the rent figure is before or after any operator or management deduction.
 
One caveat to the 11-month approach: it handles vacancy, but not necessarily turnover costs. A change of occupant can mean cleaning, minor repairs, replacement of damaged furnishings and a gap while the unit is prepared. Model vacancy and turnover as separate lines rather than treating one month’s missing rent as covering both.
 
I’d run three cases: PHP 227,600 paid for all 12 months; your 11-month case; and a weaker case with a longer gap plus a major repair. Put common dues, management, insurance, property tax, utilities paid by the owner and furnishing replacement on separate rows. If the deal only works in the first case, the 4.7% headline is doing too much work.
 
Agreed on the scenarios, but I’d avoid choosing a target net yield in isolation. A lower net return might be acceptable with a strong lease and predictable owner costs; the same number would be poor if rent is merely projected and operating expenses move around. First get written clarification of what PHP 227,600 includes and who carries each utility and service cost.
 
Don’t forget financing sensitivity if debt is involved. Test the cash flow using the actual loan terms you could obtain, then stress both the borrowing cost and a period without rent. At this purchase price, a modest gross yield can turn into weak or negative cash flow quickly once operating costs and debt service are combined. I would not set a minimum net yield until those figures and the building charges are known.
 
Back
Top