round_stone
Property investor
If the A$10,190 monthly rent proves optimistic, the apparent return changes quickly enough to make the purchase unattractive. I am reviewing a 4-bed Melbourne condo at A$1,786,000, which produces a headline gross yield of about 6.8% at that rent.
The figure is appealing, but I do not want a generic maintenance allowance to hide the costs that actually drive the result. My model includes vacancy, management, routine work and a reserve for a larger repair. I still need to test tenant turnover, owners corporation charges, insurance and any property tax that applies.
Would you put more weight on verifying the rent against an existing tenancy, or on stress-testing shared-building expenses first? I would also be interested in how others account for reletting and management costs before deciding what net return is adequate.
The figure is appealing, but I do not want a generic maintenance allowance to hide the costs that actually drive the result. My model includes vacancy, management, routine work and a reserve for a larger repair. I still need to test tenant turnover, owners corporation charges, insurance and any property tax that applies.
Would you put more weight on verifying the rent against an existing tenancy, or on stress-testing shared-building expenses first? I would also be interested in how others account for reletting and management costs before deciding what net return is adequate.