Melbourne first-time buyer: where should I start with villas and sold prices?

ada.heath

First-time buyer
Established
Hello from Melbourne. I’m a first-time buyer trying to understand villas, transaction costs, and why advertised prices can differ from completed sales. I’d like to compare Melbourne with other markets without getting trapped in a local bubble. For those following Australia, which local-board thread or market dataset would you read first?
 
Start with the local board and concentrate on completed sales rather than asking prices. Keep your own list of genuinely comparable villas: location, land or shared-property arrangement, condition, sale date and result. General market commentary is useful, but it can hide the differences that matter to a first purchase.
 
What kind of villa are you considering—renovated, needing work, or potentially suitable as a rental later? That changes what you should read next. A renovation thread may help with an older property, while mortgage comparisons, property-management discussions and investment modelling matter more if you might not occupy it indefinitely.
 
One caveat to Helena’s approach: sold-price comparisons alone can create false confidence if the properties differ in condition or ownership arrangements. I’d pair the sales list with a simple total-cost worksheet covering purchase expenses, finance and likely near-term work. Once you identify a serious candidate, use a Melbourne-specific legal checklist and obtain appropriate local advice rather than relying only on forum comparisons.
 
Back
Top