Melbourne newcomer comparing advertised and completed prices

alex.gale

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
Hello from Melbourne. I work as a market analyst, but most of my property learning lately has focused on townhouses: transaction costs, comparable sales and the gap between advertised prices and completed deals.

I joined to compare methods across markets rather than stay in a Melbourne bubble. For someone starting with Australia, would you begin on the local board, with market-data discussions, or somewhere else? I’m also interested in how members structure first-purchase and investment comparisons.
 
Welcome. I’d start on the local board, then narrow your reading to one area and property type. Townhouse discussions become much more useful when people separate the original advertised range from the completed price and note whether the properties were genuinely comparable. The broader market-data threads can come later; otherwise different locations and sale conditions get mixed together.
 
Are you mainly building an investment model, or trying to understand a possible first purchase? That changes what is worth reading first.

For a purchase, the transaction-cost, mortgage-comparison and legal-checklist discussions may expose assumptions that price data alone misses. For modelling, I’d want to know how you plan to handle townhouse differences such as land, condition, renovation and shared-property arrangements.
 
I’d slightly disagree with leaving broader data until later. It can show you what information is available before you design a very local comparison that cannot be repeated elsewhere.

A practical sequence would be: define the Melbourne townhouse sample, record advertised and completed prices separately, then add transaction costs, finance assumptions and any renovation allowance. After that, test the same template against another market. Property-management discussions are useful too, but only once you decide whether the model is owner-occupier or investment focused.
 
Back
Top