Melbourne transaction Q&A: what tends to catch people out?

round_stone

Property investor
I work around the Melbourne property market and keep seeing the same problem: buyers and sellers understand each individual step, but not how pricing, negotiation, finance and the different professionals fit together. I’m opening this thread for practical transaction questions, including financing costs and timelines.

Please include your jurisdiction, property type and whether the sale is private or competitive. I’ll separate personal experience from matters needing regulated advice, and I won’t treat an agent’s view as a substitute for legal, lending or tax guidance. Local professionals are welcome to explain where their process differs.
 
Brisbane, apartment. If a buyer has finance pre-approval, how much confidence should they place in it when deciding their negotiation limit? I’m particularly interested in the period between an accepted price and final finance approval. What information is commonly still missing at that point, and which professional should be coordinating it?
 
Nadia, I’d treat the pre-approval as one part of the plan, not the negotiation ceiling. The buyer still needs a separate limit that allows for transaction costs and any gap between expectations and the lender’s eventual decision. I’d map three timelines: the contract, the lender and the legal representative. Also clarify whether this is a private sale or auction, because the available contract conditions and room to pause may differ.
 
I partly disagree with framing this mainly as a timing problem. A perfectly coordinated transaction can still go wrong if nobody is clear about whom each professional represents. On pricing evidence, I’d ask who selected the comparable properties, why excluded examples were rejected, and whether any relationship or conflict affecting the recommendation has been disclosed. A polished price range is not automatically neutral evidence.
 
Jack’s point also raises document ownership. Before paying for any report or search, ask who commissions it, who receives the full version and whether it can be relied upon by anyone else. The answer may depend on the document and jurisdiction, so get it confirmed rather than assumed. Keeping one shared timeline is useful, but each party should also retain their own contract, finance correspondence, cost estimates and written instructions.
 
Melbourne townhouse question for the opening poster: when an advertised range and recent comparable sales point in different directions, how would you test the seller’s actual negotiating limits without simply increasing the offer? Is it reasonable to ask what evidence supports the range and whether settlement timing or finance conditions matter to the seller, or would that reveal too much about the buyer’s position?
 
Zara, asking what supports the range does not require revealing the buyer’s maximum. The buyer can request the reasoning, compare like with like and then set a limit independently. Questions about timing and conditions may uncover non-price priorities, although the seller does not have to disclose a preferred outcome. I’d put any proposed trade-off in writing and have the relevant legal and finance professionals confirm that the timing is workable before relying on it.
 
Back
Top