Mexico City student housing: gaps in my MX$3,330,000 closing-cost checklist

I’m considering student housing in Mexico City priced at MX$3,330,000 and trying to build a realistic cost checklist before proceeding. I have transfer tax, notary or legal fees, and registration on the list. What I cannot yet pin down is whether the ownership structure creates extra setup costs, which annual property charges continue after closing, and how residency, a future sale, or inheritance might change the picture. What should I ask a licensed local professional to itemize in writing?
 
Ask whether the first estimate is truly all-in or just the notary’s own fee. Transfer tax, registration and related administrative amounts can be presented separately, so a low-looking headline figure may not describe the total cash needed. I’d request a line-by-line estimate showing who receives each payment, whether it is fixed or provisional, and what could change before signing. Also ask for the latest evidence of recurring property charges rather than relying on a verbal estimate.
 
Two missing facts could alter the answers: are you buying as a Mexican or foreign national, and will you be resident in Mexico for tax purposes? Also, is this a separately titled property or an interest in a student-housing arrangement? I would clarify those before comparing ownership structures, because otherwise the estimates may not be describing the same transaction.
 
Good questions. I’d add that the cheapest structure at closing is not automatically the simplest over time. Have the local adviser compare the available options for this buyer and this property, including setup, annual administration, resale treatment and inheritance. For the property itself, request confirmation of the title being transferred and current receipts for property-related charges. That should expose whether the MX$3,330,000 figure is being treated as the complete basis for the estimate or whether assumptions are buried in it.
 
I agree on getting the buyer’s residency and nationality clear, but I would not let the discussion become only about buyer status. Future capital-gains treatment may depend on circumstances at the time of sale, while unpaid property or building charges can be a present closing problem. My practical checklist would have two columns: one-time acquisition costs and recurring obligations. Then add separate written questions on resale, residency changes and inheritance, with each answer stating the assumptions used.
 
Back
Top