I’ve checked the obvious operating costs, but I still cannot tell whether the rent assumption and the building expenses belong in the same risk category. This is a three-bedroom serviced apartment in Miami priced at $815,000, with projected rent of $5,923 a month and a headline gross yield near 8.7%.
The calculation includes empty periods, management, normal upkeep and money for larger repairs. What remains unclear is whether property tax, insurance, building charges or frequent tenant turnover would do the most damage. A higher annual bill reduces the return every year, while an extra vacancy also removes income and may bring cleaning or furnishing costs.
I also want to test the property separately from the loan. If the unfinanced net return is already thin, favorable borrowing assumptions could disguise that; if the operating margin is sound, I can then see how less favorable financing changes the cash flow. Which written expense figures and occupancy assumptions would you obtain before deciding what net yield is adequate?
The calculation includes empty periods, management, normal upkeep and money for larger repairs. What remains unclear is whether property tax, insurance, building charges or frequent tenant turnover would do the most damage. A higher annual bill reduces the return every year, while an extra vacancy also removes income and may bring cleaning or furnishing costs.
I also want to test the property separately from the loan. If the unfinanced net return is already thin, favorable borrowing assumptions could disguise that; if the operating margin is sound, I can then see how less favorable financing changes the cash flow. Which written expense figures and occupancy assumptions would you obtain before deciding what net yield is adequate?