$43,000 is the amount I expect to retain after the deposit and estimated closing expenses on a 5-bed Miami townhouse priced around $450,000. It sounds like a reasonable sum until I account for the number of things it may need to cover.
The inspection may identify work that cannot wait. There will also be moving expenses, basic household items, the insurance deductible and possibly costs connected with the association or first mortgage payment. Furnishing five bedrooms immediately is not a priority.
How much would you keep completely separate as an emergency reserve, and what limits would you set for moving, repairs and essential furniture? I am trying to decide whether the property price leaves enough room for risks beyond the purchase itself.
The inspection may identify work that cannot wait. There will also be moving expenses, basic household items, the insurance deductible and possibly costs connected with the association or first mortgage payment. Furnishing five bedrooms immediately is not a priority.
How much would you keep completely separate as an emergency reserve, and what limits would you set for moving, repairs and essential furniture? I am trying to decide whether the property price leaves enough room for risks beyond the purchase itself.